NETWORKING EXAM PREPARATION
This online short course in Networking will give you a foundation of knowledge that you can build on if you wish to develop entry level IT skills. It will also test your ability to apply your knowledge and skills prior to entering the testing environment. Its aim is to adequately prepare you for taking the certification exam.
The purpose of this course is to introduce you to networking basics in both wired and wireless environments, and covers the following topics:
- Networking Fundamentals
- Network Infrastructures
- Network Hardware
- Protocols and Services
As you work through your course material in your own free time, you can pace your studies and determine how quickly you want to progress. As a standard measure, you will have access to the online student portal for a period of 12 months from your date of registration.
COURSE START DATES:
You can start studying this course at any time of the year — there are no specific registration dates! Once you have completed your registration, you will receive your login credentials with 3-5 business days and can start your studies.
This online short course consists of five modules. The course objectives are:
- Define network concepts
- Define cloud and virtualisation concepts
- Describe remote access methods
- Define the characteristics of local area networks (LANs)
- Define the characteristics of wide area networks (WANs)
- Identify wireless networking methods and characteristics
- Compare and contrast network topologies and access methods
- Describe characteristics of switches
- Describe characteristics of routers
- Describe characteristics of physical media
Protocols and Services
- Describe the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model
- Describe the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) model
- Describe IPv4 concepts
- Describe IPv6 concepts
- Identify well-known ports
- Describe name resolution concepts
- Identify the roles of networking services
- Given a scenario, describe the troubleshooting process in a small to medium business network
- Given a scenario, use the appropriate hardware troubleshooting tools
- Given a scenario, use the appropriate Windows software tools to troubleshoot a problem
- Given a scenario, use the appropriate Linux software tools to troubleshoot a problem
Your knowledge and skills will be tested by means of online performance-based assessments and practice questions. These tools will help prepare you for the certification exam by testing your ability to apply your knowledge.
COURSE EXIT OUTCOMES:
Once you have completed this online short course you should be adequately prepared to take the Networking certification exam via Certiport.
This certification forms part of the Information Technology Specialist program.