This Business Information Systems course is approved for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) purposes by The Marketing Association of South Africa. Designated marketers can claim 20 Marketing or Non-Marketing CPD points on relevant proof of attendance. Certificate of completion to be loaded onto MarkEdonline to claim CPD points.
The MASA Professional Body CPD Content Provider Number for Oxbridge Academy Online is: MA OX 22002.
This 16-week IIE-endorsed online short course in Business Information Systems will introduce you to general business and information technology practices. It will give you a foundation of knowledge that you can build on if you wish to complete additional Business or Information Technology specialisation courses. The purpose of this course is to introduce you to business information systems.
The course covers the following topics:
- Information systems in the organisation
- The value of information systems
- Hardware and software
- Communication systems
- Information systems applications
- Transaction processing systems (TPS)
- Enterprise resources planning (ERP) systems.
Each of the eight modules in this course should take you no more than two weeks (14 days) to complete, and the course in total should take you 16 weeks to complete.
COURSE START DATES:
You can start studying this course at any time of the year — as soon as you have completed your registration, you can get started. There are no specific registration dates!
This online short course is endorsed by The Independent Institute of Education (IIE). The Independent Institute of Education (IIE) is South Africa’s largest registered and accredited private provider of higher education. They are registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and is a subsidiary of ADvTECH, a public company listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
The course consists of eight modules, and each module has two units:
- Introduction to Business Information Systems (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Information Systems in Organisations (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Computer Hardware (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Computer Software (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Data Resource Management (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Telecommunications Systems Part 1 (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Telecommunications Systems Part 2 (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
- Transaction Processing Systems (TPS) and Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) Systems (Unit 1 and Unit 2)
There are two types of assessment in this online short course:
- Formative assessments in each of the two units, for each of the eight modules
- One final summative assessment, at the end of the course, once you have worked through all eight modules
COURSE EXIT OUTCOMES:
Once you have completed this online short course you will be able to:
- Identify information systems and the major steps of the systems development process.
- Explain the reasons for, and the impact of, information systems in the organisation.
- Determine the relationship between hardware components and how to select hardware components according to task output.
- Describe operating systems in software implementation.
- Recognise components, models, and types of database management systems.
- Name the communication system elements, and the role that communication systems play in the organisation.
- List the networks and telecommunication applications.
- Describe Transaction Processing Systems (TPS) and Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) Systems.